As part of the Litigation Services Department, the Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant plans, organizes and coordinates administrative practices and procedures, ensuring ongoing case management while handling multiple and competing deadlines relating to internal complaint processes, discipline and/or court proceedings. The Assistant may support hearings and appeals in both French and English. The Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant needs to exercise a high degree of judgment. The Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant attends to all professional regulation activities equally effectively in French and English.
- Full benefits package including: Health, Dental & Vision (starting after 3 months)
- 15 paid vacation days
- 8 paid sick days
- 3 personal days
- Health & Wellness Programs/Support
- You will have your own office
- Access to continuous improvement initiatives
- On site French classes
- Lunch and learn sessions
- Social committees
- Company special events
- Company charitable events
- On site cafeteria
- Waffle Thursdays
- Personal Ergonomic Assessment
- As a member of the Litigation Services Department, the Assistant provides exceptional administrative assistance and support to their team. This includes opening files, typing, drafting, proofreading, photocopying, faxing, binding documents, scanning, screening and distributing mail, revising and formatting various correspondence and legal documents, typing transcripts of digitally recorded interviews of licensees and witnesses, issuing and arranging for service of originating processes and other documents in accordance with the firm’s Rules of Practice and Procedure and the Rules of Civil Procedure, liaising with witnesses, closing files and preparing materials for storage.
- Preparing and filing materials with the Tribunal Office and the Courts in respect of hearings, motions and appeals.
- Regularly drafting or preparing affidavits, charts, correspondence and memoranda.
- Regularly preparing and organizing books of authorities, document books, facta, materials to be filed as exhibits in hearings and index disclosure briefs for counsel and paralegal’s review.
- Redacting documents for filing at hearings to eliminate/protect confidential or identifying information.
- Coordinating and requesting the services of process servers to serve materials on licensees, applicants and witnesses.
- Preparing summonses to witnesses and contacting witnesses regarding their availability and coordinating travel arrangements and/or virtual hearing appearances.
- Ensuring the accurate and timely maintenance of the case management requirements of the Litigation Services processes.
- Uploading various Tribunal and Court documents to the Discipline History Database.
- Preparing summary sheets outlining details of discipline proceedings and appeals.
- Maintaining electronic and paper files in accordance with established protocols.
- Scheduling appointments and meetings, ensuring room set up, required documents, and availability of attendees, and arranging for language interpreters as required.
- Assisting the Administrative Manager and assigned team by reviewing reports to ensure the case management system is up to date.
- Coordinating travel arrangements as requested for staff and witnesses.
- Supporting various regulatory processes.
- Ordering transcripts from court reporters.
- Calling or attending court offices to obtain documents or information concerning ongoing investigations, disciplinary proceedings and/or appeals from disciplinary proceedings, as required.
- Answering inquiries from firm staff, witnesses, complainants and licensees and following up on same ensuring excellent customer service standards are maintained.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of information at all times.
- Maintains office supplies for assigned work area and orders supplies as required.
- Ensures the efficient operation of all office equipment.
- Prepares expense reports, cheque requisitions and processes invoices as received for payment.
- Compiles statistics and special reports as assigned.
- A strong proficiency and sophisticated user level in word processing, spreadsheets, database applications, case management systems, Internet and intranet with strong word processing or keyboarding skills, with the ability to type 60 error free words per minute. Speedy and accurate dicta-typing is required.
- Clear, concise and articulate communication skills to effectively respond to and transmit information to team members and others.
- Must be fluently bilingual in French and English (verbal, written and comprehension).
- A solid knowledge of legal office practice, legal terminology (French and English) and procedure relating to legal correspondence and legal documents.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years’ working experience providing legal administrative support in a confidential, legal or professional regulatory environment (preferably litigation).
- A college diploma with a legal administration specialization, or equivalent training and / or experience.