Bilingual Senior Underwriter (Construction Industry)-HYBRID
FULL TIME, PERMANENT
Location: (Hybrid role – 2 days a week in office) – Toronto
Hours: Mon-Fri – 9am-5pm - (40 hours/wk.)
Salary: Up to $90K
Company: Our client is a leader in the Insurance Industry. Due to continued growth, they are looking to add a talented Bilingual Senior Underwriter to their team of professionals.
- Company-paid benefit plan (Starts Day 1)
- Dental plan
- Vision plan
- Drug plan
- Life Insurance
- Casual dress code policy
- Excellent training
- Family working atmosphere
- Superior Kitchen facility with lots of delicious food supplied daily
- Healthcare Spending Account
- Opportunity for advancement
In this role, you will carefully select and underwrite risks, in a cost-effective manner and in accordance with statutory and company requirements/guidelines to ensure profitability and business targets are met. You will use background information and liaising with specialist colleagues to effectively assess the risk.
- Identify, obtain data/information from published sources, company data bases, and partnerships with sales, claims, agency, or other contacts.
- Guide the third-party administrator in underwriting new business in accordance with the company’s underwriting and service standards.
- Makes appropriate new business and renewal policy level underwriting decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment in accepting, modifying, or rejecting risks. Reviews and considers business loss experience, investigative reports, claims activity, file information and nature of risks, etc. in reaching sound decisions. Understands and adheres to filed rating plans.
- Reviews submissions and makes appropriate underwriting decisions based on underwriting best practices and specific guidelines. Reviews and considers loss experience, investigative reports, claims activity, file information and nature of risks, etc. in reaching sound decisions.
- Makes account underwriting decisions based on agency history, policyholder’s tenure, number of policies, claims history, and long-term performance indicators.
- Accountable for the proper classification of risks to ensure the matching of price and product to the customer. Is skilled at interpreting and using approved classification systems, rating plans and selection standards to determine eligibility, desirability, and proper classification/pricing benchmarks for assigned product lines.
- Initiates consulting opportunities with assigned agency force regarding business results, trends, competitor information and application of portfolio management action plans as appropriate. Recommends additional products, coverages, and discounts to ensure the agency and customer receive maximum value. Uses curiosity, ingenuity, and creativity to identify profitable opportunities.
- Actively pursues partnerships with sales, claims, and product management in implementing and driving profitable solutions for all lines of business submitted.
- Builds and enhances the agency relationship by making contact that conveys interest in the agency’s needs and goals. Completes all transactions in a first-time final mode. Assists in providing agency staff with education when necessary.
- Maintains and updates underwriting manuals and quick reference cards.
- Work on company projects as assigned by the Underwriting Manager.
- Provide full on-boarding, and/or updated training to the Underwriting Team.
- Fluently bilingual – English/French (Spoken and Written).
- Strong computer skills.
- Must be fully licensed (CIP Designation).
- 8 years’ experience in Underwriting dealing specifically with the Construction Industry.
- University graduate.